Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grandma's Melt in Your Mouth Blueberry Cake

This week, I'm sharing a yummy dessert recipe from my grandma that brings me back to childhood. I grew up spending my summers at Squam Lake in NH. Depending on your age, you may remember the movie "On Golden Pond" which was filmed here. My grandparents built a house here when I was a young child. I have not had the chance to spend a full week up here in over a decade, so my siblings and cousins have been on a throw-back to childhood kick, from going on our favorite hikes, to making delish recipes we grew up on.
Yesterday, my mom, sister, husband and I took our boat over to Blueberry Island (not the real name of the island, but what we've always called it) so we could pick native blueberries and make a favorite summer dessert, appropriately named Melt in Your Mouth Blueberry Cake
I ate my fair share of berries during the picking process! My mom by far out-picked the rest of us (look at that technique!) We came back with a couple pounds of sweet, ripe blueberries to whip up this recipe for dessert. While I usually do not eat much dessert, blueberries are a superfood chock full of antioxidants and vitamins- justification enough for dessert on vacation! It's so delicious, I ended up having a little for breakfast too! Grandma and grandpa arrive this afternoon, so we saved a few slices for them :)

Grandma's Melt in Your Mouth Blueberry Cake
1 1/2 C flour
1t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/3 C milk
2 eggs, separated
1/2 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 C blueberries
sprinkles of cinnamon & sugar mixed

Cream shortening with sugar. Add beaten yolks. Add alternately sifted dry ingredients, then milk. Fold in beaten egg whites, vanilla, then lightly floured blueberries. Bake 30-40 min at 350. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar before baking.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment